Our Story

Growing with Lee’s Summit

1080-Lees_Summit_Christian_Church_9274Our congregation was chartered in 1870 by 12 founding members. The history of a church is much more than the history of its buildings, but the growth of a congregation is often reflected in the changes in their church building. The first building was completed in 1873 at 4th and Douglas, a one room building that was torn down in 1897 to be replaced by a new building at a cost of $3,300 in 1898. In 1948 that building was destroyed by a fire and replaced in 1949. In the 1980s it became apparent that if the church were to grow, a new location was needed. In 1985 the church dedicated the current building at 800 NE Tudor. Recognizing that a major addition would help promote strong Christian education programs and our Stepping Stones Preschool, a new wing was built and opened in 1999.

Our Vision

For over 140 years, LSCC has been helping people to find new life in Christ. We’ve grown with the community and have been a presence in countless ways to help to make this a great place to live. Our vision is to help people encounter the living God through worship, study and service so that we can be witnesses to God’s love in life-changing ways from our doorsteps to the ends of the earth.

We’ve not only helped Lee’s Summit grow; Lee’s Summit has helped us grow.  When needs arise in the community, we respond as a people grounded in unity, deep commitment to the teachings of Christ, and with a passion for justice. We long to be faithful disciples of Jesus AND growing servants of God. We’d love for you to join us!